Monday, March 26, 2012

Johnny Cash "gets me"...

Remember the Johnny Cash song "I Walk The Line" ? So I am really thinking of pouring a Jack Daniels and kicking back to Country. So American, so apple pie, so white picket fence. Walking the line between Norman Rockwell and the Torah. Sometimes I see myself disappearing into the black skirts and though I really dig the black skirts swishing around my legs, I do not dig the box from which they emerge.  And I don't care that it is a multi colored skirt...better, but it still is from a closet in which I can find it hard to get fresh air.


What happens when you are with people that are all alike? That carry the same values? That read the same sort of books and follow the same authority figure? Of course, they tend to merge into a monolithic group.  The challenge to thought diminishes. BUT, BUT, BUT, all of the sudden you see the POP of color and spirituality and dynamism. That, my dear friends, is what I am going to capture. 


Ok, back to Norm and white picket fences: Did you know that my "black hatted" friends don't celebrate Thanksgiving? What's with that?! That offended me. I see taking a pass on Saint Valentine's Day and Halloween.... but Thanksgiving??  I am so incredibly proud  to be able to assimilate into Americanism. (I am not even venturing into the world of political correctness and Native Americans. Please, there is just so many banners I can carry) This does not mean I give up being a Jew. But I am making mashed potatoes, turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie. I will used that crazy chemical faux dairy stuff for my pie, but I am eating Thanksgiving dinner, sipping my Jack and watching football. 

No comments:

Post a Comment